Statutes of Estonian Land Board
REGULATION May 2, 2016 no 7
The regulation is established pursuant to §42 (1) of the Government of the Republic Act
§1 Status of Land Board
(1) The Land Board (hereafter Board) is a government agency under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Environment and it exercises executive power, state supervision and applies the enforcement powers of the state on the basis of and to the extent prescribed by law.
(2) In performing its duties the Board represents the state.
§2 Budget, Seal and Insignia of the Board
(1) The Board is an agency with its own budget financed from the state budget.
(2) The Board has a seal bearing the small national coat of arms and its name.
(3) The Board’s structural unit may have a seal bearing its own name if it is provided in the statutes of the structural unit.
(4) The procedure for the use of the Board’s blank document forms and seal as well as the seals of structural units shall be set out in the records management procedure of the Board.
§3 Location of the Board
The address of the Board is Mustamäe tee 51, 10621 Tallinn. The location of a structural unit situated elsewhere shall be set forth in the statutes of the structural unit.
§4 Supervision over the Board’s Activities
(1) The Board is subordinated to the Ministry of the Environment.
(2) Supervisory control over the legality and expediency of the Board’s activities is performed by the Minister of the Environment.
Fields of Activity and Tasks
§5 Fields of Activity and Tasks of the Board
(1) The fields of activity are registration and updating of land-related information and making it available to the public, performing the duties related to spatial datasets, organising geological, cartographic and geodetic works and land valuation related activities, supervising the execution of land reform, and performing the duties related to the administration of unbuilt state-owned land.
(2)The Board carries out the following functions:
- manages cadastral services and cadastral data
- guarantees the up-to-dateness and reliability of cadastral data and their availability to the public
- supervises, coordinates and controls the execution of land reform and organises the retention of land in state ownership
- fulfils the tasks related to spatial planning within the limits of its authority
- administers unbuilt state lands and concludes transactions within the limits of its authority
- undertakes acquisitions of lands, which are protected by nature conservation restrictions, to the state
- maintains records of the state-owned lands that are under the administration of the Ministry of the Environment
- performs land consolidation related functions
- carries out geoinformatics related activities and manages the Estonian spatial data infrastructure
- captures topographic features
- performs activities in the fields of geodesy, cartography and photogrammetry and develops public services based on satellite remote sensing
- carries out geology related activities
- performs aerial photography for monitoring the use of natural resources
- performs land valuation related activities
- issues licences for the performance of land valuation and land consolidation works
- manages and develops the datasets maintained by the Board and ensures their interoperability
- participates in legislative drafting within the limits of its fields of activity and competence
- participates in international cooperation within the limits of its fields of activity and competence
(3) The Board performs other duties in the conformity with legislation as well as other assignments given by the Minister of the Environment or Secretary General of the Ministry of the Environment.
Management of the Board
§6 Director General
(1) The Board is led by Director General. In the absence of Director General his tasks will be performed by an official appointed by Director General.
(2) Director General:
- oversees the activities of the Board as well as the work of officials, employees and structural units that are under his direct subordination, and organises the fulfilment of the Board’s duties through Deputy Directors General, Heads of Structural Units and Advisors
- organises the implementation of the Board’s internal auditing system
- makes proposals to the Minister of the Environment for a more expedient organisation of the Board's activities
- is responsible for the observance of legal acts regulating the Board's activities and reports to the Minister of the Environment
- represents the Board without special authorisation and authorises others to represent the Board
- approves rules and procedures regulating the Board's internal organisation
- appoints and releases from office the Board’s officials
- concludes, amends and terminates contracts of employment with the Board’s employees
- approves the list and number of positions, their division into function groups and the statutes of structural units
- approves job descriptions of officials and employees and decides on the payment of bonuses and variable salaries in the conformity with valid legal acts and the Board's budget
- performs supervision over the work of officials and employees as prescribed by the law
- imposes disciplinary penalties on officials and warnings on employees
- in certain cases, while performing state supervision, issues precepts
- establishes and submits to the Ministry of the Environment the Board’s budget of expenditure and income, the draft organisational structure and number of positions, and ensures an accurate and expedient implementation of the approved budget
- concludes, or authorises the conclusion of, contracts on behalf of the Board
- decides on the issues related to the state assets at the Board’s disposal
- establishes in the fields of activity permanent or temporary working groups the tasks, composition and remuneration of members of which are regulated by a decree
- issues decrees within the limits of his competence and in the conformity with legislation
- performs other tasks imposed on him by legislation, and also assignments given by the Minister of the Environment or Secretary General of the Ministry of the Environment
§7 Deputy Director General
(1) The Board’s staff include positions of Deputy Director General subordinated directly to Director General in the conformity with the list of positions approved by Director General
(2) Deputy Director General ensures within the limits of his/her competence the performance of the Board’s duties and an overall development of his/her sphere of responsibility, and is responsible for the achievement of objectives set for the respective area, and for the development of the area
(3) Spheres of responsibility of and departments subordinated to Deputy Director General, more detailed duties of employment, rights and liabilities are set forth in the job description
(4) In the absence of Deputy Director General his/her duties will be performed by an official appointed by Director General.
§8 Management of Structural Units
(1) The structural units and subunits of the Board are led by the following officials and employees:
- department is led by Head of Department, who subordinates directly to Director General or Deputy Director General
- bureau is led by Head of Bureau, who subordinates directly to the Head of Department
(2) The head of a structural unit shall ensure the performance of functions set forth in the statutes of the structural unit as well as an expedient and effective use of resources allocated to the unit
(3) More detailed duties of employment, rights and liabilities of a head of structural unit are set forth in the job description
The Board’s staff may include Advisors in the conformity with the Board’s list of positions approved by Director General. The subordination, duties of employment, rights and liabilities of Advisor are set forth in the job description.
Organisational Structure of the Board and Main Tasks of Structural Units
§10 Organisational Structure of the Board
(1) The structural units of the Board are departments.
(2) The subordination, structure, duties, competence and management of the department are set forth in the statutes of the department.
(3) The department may include bureaus the competence and duties of which are set forth in the statutes of the department.
(4) The Board may include officials and employees remaining outside the structural units, who are subordinated directly to Director General or to the official or employee appointed by Director General. The duties of employment, rights and liabilities of officials and employees remaining outside the structural units are set out in the job descriptions.
(5) The number of positions of the Board is approved by the Minister of the Environment on the proposal made by Director General.
§11The Board’s Departments and Their Basic Tasks
The Board has the following departments with the following basic tasks:
- Department of Address Data manages and coordinates the address data system and organises the management of data of the Place Names Register
- Department of Photogrammetry carries out aerial surveying and post-processing of survey data
- Department of Geodesy organises and coordinates the establishment and improvement of national geodetic networks and the works related to the establishment and improvement of local geodetic networks, manages the geodetic system and the GPS permanent stations network, maintains the dataset of geodetic points, ensures the archiving and distribution of geodetic data and materials, and performs technical control of geodetic works
- Department of Geoinformatics develops the spatial data infrastructure and the Board’s geoinformation systems, maintains the Estonian Topographic Dataset, creates spatial data services and makes them available to the public
- Department of Geology organises national geological mapping, ensures the preservation and availability of geological information, organises the management of services and data of records of mineral deposits, compiles a consolidated balance sheet of mineral reserves, and approves plans in the mineral deposit areas within the limits of its authorization
- Administrative Department organises the Board’s records management and archiving, provides equipment and inventory for work, organises the management and accounting of state assets that are under the Board’s administration, and administers the administrative buildings
- Department of Information Technology defines the Board’s IT related needs and plans the use of resources, ensures IT development and operation of information systems
- Quality Department of Cadastre ensures the quality and up-to-dateness of cadastral data, performs cadastral surveying and land consolidation procedures for checking and improving of data
- Register Department of Cadastre organises activities related to cadastral entries, registers cadastral data and ensures archiving of documents that serve as basis for cadastral entries
- Information and Development Department of Cadastre organises the processing, publication and granting into use of cadastral data, manages and develops the datasets of cadastre and registers spatial data of administrative and settlement units and restrictions
- Department of Cadastral Surveying Control performs control surveys and checks the compliance of parcel documents with the boundary markers and situation in nature, provides know-how about cadastral surveying, performs land consolidation works and quality control over persons having licenses for land consolidation works
- Department of Real Property Management organises the administration, use and disposal of state-owned unbuilt real property, acquisition of immovables for the state, and keeps account of lands that are under the administration of the Ministry of the Environment
- Department of Real Estate Valuation organises the execution of land assessment, supervises the land assessment activities, maintains the land tax information system, transactions database, land quality and valuation map, and publishes real estate market overviews
- Department of Land Reform arranges the fulfilling of land reform related tasks and the formation of state land reserve
- Department of Plans participates in the procedures of plans and civil engineering projects within the limits of its authorization, and compiles and makes available the plans related information that is at the Board’s disposal
- Department of Spatial Data organises the data capture of topographic features and the production of maps
- Legal Department organises the Board’s legal activities, its representation in courts, public tenders and preparation of contracts
- Department of General Affairs performs accounting of state assets that are in the Board’s possession, budgeting and financial reporting, human resource work, internal and international communication, ensures compliance with working environment, occupational health and safety requirements, and presents the services offered by the Board.
§12 Invalidation of the Regulation
The Minister of the Environment Regulation No 20 of the 5th of April 2011 "Land Board’s Statutes" shall be repealed.
§ 13 Entry into Force of the Regulation
This regulation shall enter into force on the 1st of July 2016.